Saturday, February 13, 2010

Father/Son Valentines are just Icky

OK, first, let's dispense with the tired stereotype of the absent-minded, romantically clueless male, running to the card shop at the last minute to load up on armfulls of roses and chocolates and find that perfect paper sentiment that expresses his undying love in a way he never could. Or diamonds, when he comes to understand that isn't enough. Shall we? There were two other people buying cards with me today, and neither of them were male.

I'd rather not buy into the whole, "if you love me, you'll cut down those living flowers so I can watch them die in front of me, then I want you to exploit children and poor people at the behest of an African warlord so I can have a rare, shiny rock, and make sure you purchase someone else's measured sentiments from the industry responsible for making you feel worthless for not participating," thing.

The chocolates are tasty, though.

I have memories of being in grammar school, and cutting and gluing the same manufactured sentiments for my classmates they were compositing for me. Many of the 3-4-year-olds in my son's class worked on similar sentiments. Admittedly, there's a big, "aww" moment when your preschooler throws his arms out and yells, "happy valentime's [sic] day!"

Call me a purist, but the purpose of the day honoring St. Valentine is to celebrate romantic love. Not, "I love you, man," love. I'm not any more comfortable with my 3-yr-old son expressing romantic feelings for the girls in his preschool than for the boys. It's just not appropriate.

I love my family. I love my son. My wife gets Valentine's Day cards.

Yeah, I know a lot of people use the occasion to express their, shall we say, less romantic feelings for the people close to them. But I'm not eager to meet the father who's expecting the, "Be my Valentine, Dad" card that I saw today from his son.

No comments:

Post a Comment