Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Blowhard Christian Soldiers


The only "social responsibility" of a Christian is to live, wherever and with whomever he may be, the life of faith, for his own salvation and as an example to others. If, in so doing, we help to ameliorate or abolish a social evil, that is a good thing - but that is not our goal. If we become desperate when our life and our words fail to convert others to the true Kingdom, that comes from lack of faith. If we would live our faith more deeply, we would need to speak of it less.

Bl. Seraphim Rose

From Letters from Father Seraphim, Nikodemos Orthodox Publication Society, Richfield Springs, NY, 2001. A letter to Thomas Merton. (via my friend Huw)



It occurred to me how ironic it was that political candidates were able to garner millions of dollars in contributions, but we can't seem to find the money to help the truly needy. The irony was the candidates who claim to represent "Christian values" with $400 hair cuts.

I was thinking about how one church could raise over $300,000 in collections from its members in order to sponsor legislation that would deny the same rights they enjoy from couples for being of the same gender.

I was thinking about how that same, Christian, enthusiasm could have feed, clothed and housed more than a few people.

I was also questioning how many Christian ideals are being expressed in response to the recent disaster in Haiti.

I then wonder how many who would call themselves Christian are against providing health care to those who cannot afford it. Not only do they not want to see anyone else "enriched" from their, Christian labor, they fear health care in too short supply to risk sharing it with others, lest they not get what is theirs.

I cannot hold fault with Christianity as a faith for the way some choose to practice it. That's the same as hating a football team because of the actions of some of its fans. (Which some seem to have to quarrel with.)

The message I get from Jesus, as portrayed in the Bible, is forgive everyone; love everyone, even your enemies; have compassion for every one and every thing and help everyone when you can. But then I'm not a Biblical scholar. I've not even read the Bible. I still think I have a better understanding of Yeshua of Nazareth's teachings than most who claim to have a personal relationship with him. It makes me think they've not read any more of the book than I have.

No comments:

Post a Comment